Scarborough Castle Henry II
From about 1157, Henry II rebuilt Scarborough Castle using stone. Much of the building work occurred between 1159 and 1169, when the three-storey keep was built and a stone wall replaced the wooden palisade protecting the inner bailey.
By the end of Henry’s reign in 1189, a total of £682, 15 shillings and threepence had been spent on the castle, of which £532 was spent between 1157 and 1164. Henry’s average annual income during his reign was about £10,000.
The castle became a strategic northern stronghold for The Crown. Henry II granted Scarborough, that had grown up beneath the fortress, the title of Royal Borough.